ScholarNext is a full-service consultancy focusing on issues at the intersection of technology, content, and academia.
Clients include publishers, technology companies, universities, libraries, non-profit organizations, startups, and other scholarly communication entities.
ScholarNext works with clients on a broad variety of issues, including strategic planning, business development, management consulting, policy analysis, and understanding and developing new functionality. Engagements may be short-term, retainer-based, or "brainiac-on-demand".
Representative activities include the following:
- Development of a mobile strategy for a high-impact publisher
- Creation of a market-entry strategy for a Fortune 50 company developing a higher education service
- Formulation of an open data policy for a major biomedical association
- Review and critique of a strategic master plan for an ARL-member library
- Usability and design testing for highly visible new life sciences publication
- Serving as interim CEO for a social networking startup
- Oversight of market entry strategy for digital textbook company
- Development and execution of a journal acquisitions strategy for a major non-profit publisher
- Creation of a business development plan for a high-tech startup seeking to enter the academic space
- Review of technical strategy and feature set for a major information provider
- Presentation of a workshop series reviewing and previewing trends in scholarly communications at multiple ARL-member libraries
- Construction of a market demographic survey for an established journal publisher
- Refinement of a service plan for one of the largest academic libraries systems in the world
- Revision of copyright policy for a major international publisher